Wednesday, December 20, 2006

1st Boosts!

Well, I gave in today. Just couldn't take anymore studying without some sort of fun sports. Since the rivers are still dry, that meant kiting. I headed out to Lake Como (by myself, unfortunately, so there's no pictures) and was treated to some great winds. I learned alot, including that falling on the ice doesn't feel very good. See, everything went fine and I was practicing little boosts in 8-10mph winds. No problem. Then, the wind picked up, the kite started pulling like crazy, and I decided it would be fun to try for some actual air. The good news is that its a totally awesome feeling carving upwind and feeling the kite loft you into the air. It's an even better feeling when you're up there. The bad news is that it's a way less cool feeling when you can't stick the landing and wind up directly on an elbow. Twice. So, while I have one very tender elbow, I am also the proud new owner of some very nice (but used) elbow pads I picked up on the way home from the lake. Live and learn.

Only one more final to go! Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm sure Kim is so proud. Why were you ice kiting without elbow pads in the first place? Some knee pads might not be a bad investment either. This has to be the most dangerous sport ever - please don't get Ben interested in this!

Nora Whitmore said...

I went to Goodwill today and found a super deluxe set of Bauer elbow pads for a buck fifty...I think it's a sign.